Thursday, November 14, 2013

Approachable Healthy Eating

I don't believe in all or nothing health. I believe this type of thinking holds us back from potentially eating far better than we currently are. That's the whole purpose of this blog, to help highlight how we can eat better without going to extremes.

To be clear, I highly admire those who are able to invest time, energy, and money in what I have (possibly inaccurately) labeled as extreme healthy eating.  I think that if you have the interest and can afford to do so it's a positive thing.

But for the rest of us, those of us who desire to feed our families well but feel overwhelmed by the prospect of everything homemade, hard-to-pronounce-foods type of healthy eating, I propose a more middle-of-the-road, improving-by-degrees kind of healthy eating.

Case in point:

Cheesy Broccoli Rice-a-Roni

I could have added chicken, I could have just eaten the rice plain.  Instead, in my efforts towards healthier eating, I added in a ton of broccoli.  And you know what?  It tastes amazing!  :D


Here's what I did:

1.  Washed and trimmed about a pound of broccoli  (no need to be precise.)
2.  Cooked the Cheesy Broccoli Rice-a-Roni according to the box
3.  Added the broccoli to the rice during the last five minutes of cooking time  (lid on so it could steam)

It's that simple!  Let me know if you have any other quick and easy healthy (or rather, healthier) recipes.

Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment